Friday, April 3, 2015

Mindful.Ness

I have been wandering through the vast wilderness called "Mindful." Some time ago I read an article about being mindful. It has been a while, and maybe the subject was not really about our mindfulness towards Christ, but it is likely if I read it, my thoughts interpreted it through the filter of Christian obedience. I am dubious of mindfulness in the common, but not mindfulness in Christ.

Mindfulness is about being fully in the moment. I teach cognition... thinking about your thinking. I believe that we are slothful-lazy thinkers. We allow input without addressing it. I am an advocate for being in the moment every.moment. We cannot be in.the.moment if we spend hours daily watching tv, playing video games, or just allowing time to pass us by... And especially if we are not purposeful about our surroundings. When I drink cold water I think about how the coldness slides down my throat, or when I open the window and the cold outside air or the warmth of the wind touches my face. I breathe deeply. I experience it. I experience all of it. No longer reaction or impulse, but mindfulness. I am filled with the experience.

This is Easter weekend. This is a bittersweet holiday for me. Every year, without skipping a beat, my tears flow at the story of Jesus' crucifixion. My heart aches at the thought, "He did that for me." He suffered and died for me. He shed His blood to reconcile me with God the Father. Adam and Eve turned willingly toward the deceiver and away from God causing humankind to be cast out of the garden. Jesus came from forever.from eternity.to earth.in the flesh to reconcile you and me to God the Father because God intended us to fellowship with Him in the garden FOREVER. Isn't that something to be mindful of? Isn't that worth giving every thought.every moment to Jesus? To indulge the senses He created in us to embrace and be mindful every moment!

As you proceed StepxStep, embrace every moment as the gift it is.

"No one, when he has lit a lamp, puts it in a secret place under a basket, but on a lampstand, that those who come in may see the light. The lamp of the body is the eye. Therefore, when your eye is good, your whole body also is full of light... If then your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, the whole body will be full of light, as when the bright shining lamp gives you light."
Luke 11:33-36

No comments:

Post a Comment